Re: apache24 Vs pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/web-server

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:57:02PM +1200, David Sainty wrote:
>  > >>apache.mk normally picks up apache22, currently.
>  > >Well, that's not what you would get for binary packages at least.
>  >
>  > If apache24 is the defacto standard for binary packages, and has been for a
>  > well-tested period of time, maybe it's time mk/apache.mk updated too.
>  >
>  > Is that too rash for a freeze?
>  >
>  > Could be a highlight for Q3 :)
>
> AIUI, that shuold have been done quite some time ago.

(not particularly directed at dholland@)

In general, for changing the default version of big things, I'd like to
see a proposal to change with an articulation of why (that would make
sense to someone not following the details of the package in question)
it's in the best interest of users and what the consequences are (will
people running 2.2 have to upgrade to 2.4 in order to keep running
binary packages, if they use particular packages)?  I don't see this
note being more then 10-20 lines, and would expect that someone in a
position to propose this would have it all in their head already.

> but, not in a freeze I think...

This seems to me like too much during the freeze, espeically this one
that's trying to have fewer changes and maybe end early.  I think we
should be only be fixing things that are regressions from the previous
branch on some platform, are totally broken, or are security patches.
And given that bulk builds produce ap22 and ap24 variants of most
things, I'm not sure how much it matters.