Re: xgettext with UI files support

* On 2015-06-21 at 07:26 BST, Ryo ONODERA wrote:

> From: Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost>, Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 16:08:24 +0100
>
> > * On 2015-06-15 at 16:00 BST, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
> >
> >> My commit to x11/gtk3 was wrong.
> >> How about the following patches?
> >> If REQUIRE_XGETTEXT_WITH_UI_FILES_SUPPORT=yes, xgettext>=0.18.3 from
> >> devel/gettext-tools is used.
> >
> > I really don't like that variable name, it's way too long.
> >
> > I'd also prefer to see a more general way of requiring specific
> > versions of USE_TOOLS (e.g. USE_TOOLS+= xgettext>=0.18.3 or something)
> > rather than adding special cases like this all over the place,
> > especially during a freeze.
> >
> > Can we go with a simpler, non-infrastructure fix for now and discuss a
> > general purpose solution post-freeze?
>
> Could you explain me your idea about USE_TOOLS+=xgettext>=0.18.3?

I'm not sure we need to proceed with this any further.  As others have
mentioned (and has been used to fix x11/gtk3 in the meantime), we can
use TOOLS_DEPENDS directly in the Makefile to override the required
version.

If it happens that this still isn't sufficient and we can't rely on
version checks for the specific features that we need, then there are
a few ways to enforce that the pkgsrc version is pulled in, e.g.:

  _TOOLS_USE_PKGSRC.xgettext=yes

or

  TOOLS_PLATFORM.xgettext= # unset

We appear to use both types already across pkgsrc.