Re: python and sqlite3 packages

Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> writes:

> I am trying to use sqlite3 from within python.  It turns out that the
> system-supplied version of sqlite3 is too old to support certain
> features, so I installed both the pkgsrc version of sqlite3 and the
> py-sqlite3 package.  My path also includes /usr/pkg/bin prior to
> /usr/bin so the pkgsrc version is picked up when sqlite3 is run from
> the command line.  However, python loads the system-supplied version
> instead.
>
> How can python be made to load the pkgsrc version of sqlite3 in preference to the system-supplied version?

It would help to give more details.

Probably the issue is -L/-R for /usr/pkg not being ahead of the /usr
ones in some link line.  Probably it should be /usr/pkg first to prefer
the pkgsrc stuff that it found.  However that kind of change probably
has unintended consequences so we should be careful.

$ ldd /usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_sqlite3.so
/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_sqlite3.so:
        -lsqlite3.1 => /usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.1
        -lgcc_s.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
        -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
        -lpython2.7.1.0 => /usr/pkg/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0
        -lutil.7 => /usr/lib/libutil.so.7
        -lm.0 => /usr/lib/libm.so.0
        -lpthread.1 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1

This is perhaps not broken, because py-sqlite3 does not depend on the
sqlite3 package.  Perhaps you need PREFER_PKGSRC for that.