Re: XFCE Update proposal to 4.12

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, John D. Baker wrote:

> I'll try running it as soon as the other stuff I have going reaches a
> convenient stopping point.

As I normally use fvwm2, I added an item to start 'xfce4-session' to my
fvwm menu.  Alas, that didn't work--it instead terminated the session
and logged me out (back to 'xdm').

My ".xsession-errors" file reported:

XDM authorization key belongs to another client!xfce4-session: cannot open display:

Editing my ".xsession" file so 'xfce4-session' is started directly works.

I was a bit surprised that 'thunar' was not pre-configured as the default
file manager.  Clicking the various folder icons brought up a configuration
dialogue.

I don't care for the window manager's tendency to maximize a window that
I move up to the top of the screen.  I'm running on a laptop which has
only a TrackPoint stick for a mouse and it tends push hard when I reach
the edge of the screen.  I haven't found where to turn that off unless
it's called something non-obvious.

Beyond that I'm quite impressed.  Not sure I'd use it myself, but I
maintain NetBSD-based systems for a couple of other folks and XFCE seems
to be the right environment for them.  I've so-far been using xfce48
from pkgsrc-wip.

Thanks for the work putting v4.12 together.  The problems with building
"xfce4-battery-plugin" are not really an issue for me as the primary
target systems are desktop workstations and not laptops.

Hope to see it committed soon.  Thanks again.