Re: heads up: please use USE_GITHUB=yes when packaging software hosted on GH

Leonardo Taccari <iamleot%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Hello MLH,
>
> MLH writes:
>> What is the recommended practice for creating a git-based package
>> that has no source distributions:
>>
>> https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/blob/master/INSTALL-LINUX
> If you are interested in packaging the master/HEAD and/or a package
> that has no source distributions the best way is to use
> wip/mk/git-package.mk. You can find various example on pkgsrc-wip but
> it's pretty straight-forward to use, e.g. wip/mpv-git:
>
>  GIT_REPOSITORIES=	mpv
>  GIT_REPO.mpv=		git://github.com/mpv-player/mpv.git
>
> ..and before "mk/bsd.pkg.mk" at the end please always remember to...
>
>  .include "../../wip/mk/git-package.mk"
>
> If you are looking for more information please give a look directly to
> the "../../wip/mk/git-package.mk" file.

That's good advice.

Beyond that, it seems possible that git-pakage.mk could use some
improvments (but maybe that's happened already).

There's a larger question, which is that while you can package things
into wip that don't have releases, we don't have git-package.mk in
pkgsrc proper, so these packages can't be imported.  That's partly
because no one has proposed importing git-package.mk and worked through
any issues that will arise, and partly becuase there's a sense that if
an upstream package isn't actually released, it doesn't belong in
pkgsrc.

But, there's an increasing amount of code where the people who maintain
it don't see any value in releases.  I think this is a mistake, and the
releases with version numbers and tarballs ground the package-publishing
interaction.  Still, there's the question of whether/how pkgsrc should
cope.

In any case, if there's an upstream project without releases, I suggest
filing a bug with them about that, and mentioning that almost all
instances of successful projects are installed through some kind of
package manager.

I am curious how this is handled by  BSD ports/pkg systems, various
Linux distributions, macports, homebrew, etc.