creating perl module packages

     In the past to create a package for a perl module, I simply
used url2pkg and it did the right thing.  However, my last attempt
didn't go so well:

===> Extracting for Net-Ping-External-0.15
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
WARNING: ABSTRACT contains control character(s), they will be removed
Generating a Unix-style Makefile
Writing Makefile for Net::Ping::External
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
Undefined subroutine &main::WriteMakefile called at Makefile.PL line 46.
Died at /usr/pkg/bin/url2pkg line 194.

Anybody know what's missing or what's wrong?  This was with an
uptodate -current system with a completely uptodate -current pkgsrc.