Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/coda

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:06:36 -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> TODO+=
>
>   send all patches upstream
>   add upstream bugtracker URL to all patch files
>
> Do you really have this working on any kind of solaris?  Is there kernel
> support?

Hi Greg,

not yet, and (according to
<http://marc.info/?l=linux-coda&m=124181000316589&w=2>), no.

>  Last time this came up I asked about that, and it seems it
> doesn't actually work.  If the package doesn't actually work (fully,
> with kernel support), then I'd (as MAINTAINER) rather not have solaris
> patches, because they add update complexity and won't help.

I can see your point. Arguably, the patches should go upstream - I see
you are currently trying to get them accepted.

> Arguably there should be ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM limited to NetBSD and Linux;
> I'm not aware of anything else working.

I guess there is not much point in a server-only installation, given
that Coda has its own file store, so yes, this would have made a clear
statement... OTOH, the sources are littered with '#ifdef sun'
statements, so nominal support is there; and if the sources at least
build, that might increase visibility of the project.

> If there is ever another coda release, and these patches cause grief,
> I'm just going to nuke them if they haven't been filed upstream.  The
> point here is that pacakges which need help should be fixed upstream,
> rather than in pkgsrc.  (If upstream doesn't deal, fine, but I think
> it's required to try, and that's I believe documented in The Guide.)

Again, point taken. I hadn't intended on making the maintainer's life
difficult; if you want the patches backed out, say the word.

> Also, it seems like there are a lot of things rolled into one commit;
> I'd prefer to see separate commits for separate logical changes (like
> the CONF_FILES stuff).  (I would have said this if asked.)

Sorry again - you're right, of course.

Cheerio,
hauke

--