Re: pbulk on slower architectures

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 01:24:15AM +0000, John Klos wrote:
 > Is there a good / best practice way to do an initialization of pbulk on a
 > fast machine, then move that work to a slower machine?
 >
 > An older machine, which is fast for a slower architecture (60 MHz m68060)
 > was started nearly a week ago, but has only gotten through 1600 out of
 > 12217 packages...

I don't think you can, one of the reasons being that the results may
(will, in general) change when you switch architectures.

Ultimately we really need to make bmake run faster. Unfortunately,
it's a heck of a lot of work...

(the alternative I guess is to move away from bmake as the
implementation language, but that is also problematic and seems like
it would be a pity)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost