Re: packages and TeXLive revisions

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:02:11PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> I notice that a number of (but I don't believe all of) the TeXLive packages,
> i.e., those in print/tex-* indicate a TeXLive revision either as a comment in
> the Makefile or as an defined Makefile variable.  I have some new packages
> that I wish to commit, but I am not sure what to make of the revision
> information.  In general, I don't seem to have any such information for these
> packages, so I am wondering where this comes from, what it means, and if I am
> missing something as I prepare these packages.

TeXLive packages usually contain files describing their content. For
example (picked at random), tex-pst-geo contains a file
tlpkg/tlpobj/pst-geo.tlpobj that starts with:

name pst-geo
category Package
revision 17751
shortdesc Geographical Projections
relocated 1
longdesc pst-geo is a set of PSTricks related packages for various

The 'revision' field here contains the revision you're looking for.

Some packages do not contain such a file. I'm not sure how to find the
revision out for those.
 Thomas