Re: rollback print/cups for pkgsrc-2014Q2?

Thomas Klausner writes:
- On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 07:54:31AM -0500, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- > I'm still trying to figure out why other cups systems on my
- > network doesn't see the printers "exported" by the master cups
- > print server.
-
- Sounds like something to do with avahi to me?

Maybe a little bit.  But I was unable to recreate the
auto-detection/importation of shared CUPS queues without installing
cups-filters.  Once cups-filters (with cups-browsed) was installed,
the workstation was able to see the queues provided by the server
without any special configuration, just as it could with cups 1.5.

I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that cups with-out cups filters
is nearly useless in an environment of networked systems sharing
a common print server.

Should we consider rolling cups-filters into cups so we keep
functionality equivalent to cups 1.5?

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com