Re: Mutex implementation on m68k/netbsd-7?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 18:14:08 +0200 Hauke Fath
<hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost> wrote:

> Hm. I have a patch to the db4 package for sparc where I ran into the
> same problem, years back before my second pair of SM71s went belly-up,
> and I moved the installation to a B/W G3 Macintosh. db4's test routines
> were fine with these patches, but as nobody else appeared to run into
> the issue, and/or care, they still reside on my harddrive.

> Why you would run into the issue for m68k netbsd-7, and not earlier,
> though, is funny - it's not like the db4 sources have changed much
> recently, is it?

My understanding was that starting with db4-4.8 (and subsequent "dbN")
Oracle changed things so db4 would only build on x86 and ultraSPARC
platforms (apparently powerpc works too).  ISTR it was something about
the way file locking was done that eliminated calls to platform-independent
mechanisms in favor of local platform-specific code.  (But I may be
wrong and/or injecting too much opinion in this--I have not looked at
the code myself.)

I figured there was nothing for it and have been keeping my "db4" rolled
back to the last version that was buildable on sparc (db4-4.7.25.3 from
pkgsrc-2010Q1, or a date tag just before the update to 4.8.0).

If you have patches to restore current db4 to building on sparc (and
apparently m68k platforms), I'd be happy to use them and even happier
if they could be committed to pkgsrc.  (Perhaps even updated for db5
and following?)

Thanks.