Re: Home directory of PostgreSQL user

                        Hi there,

On 21/07/2014 10:10, David Holland wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:36:52AM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>  > > Real databases, as opposed to
>  > > auxiliary data that is needed to run a system, really don't belong in
>  > > /var,
>  >
>  > I disagree. "/var" is hystorically for system data. And that is what
>  > database tablesa are.
>
> Uh... my database tables are not system data; at a pinch they're
> application data, but mostly they're user data. /var is the wrong
> place. /home/${PGUSER} would be better from this point of view, but of
> course has other issues. Maybe ~${PGUSER}...

The point is that you do not want users to be able to fill their
directories with data, to the point that the system crashes (or stops
logging and hides hacking attempts for one thing). So all my systems
separate /home and /var.

On my critical systems running PostgreSQL, I setup a separate partition
dedicated to it. It is database data, not user data or system data. I
want the database to keep running even if a user goes crazy (happens
easily with bad cron jobs), and I want the system to keep running even
if the database gets too big (helps logging in and working on the issue).

What would be very cool to add to pkgsrc's PostgreSQL packages would be
cluster management scripts as seen in Debian (pg_upgradecluster, etc).
They really speak for the power and flexibility of PostgreSQL.

HTH,
--
khorben