Re: discussion seeked for c++ variants in USE_LANGUAGES

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 07:46:04AM +0200, Richard PALO wrote:
>> Not finding much discussion about c++ variants in USE_LANGUAGES, I'd
>> like to open this topic with a proposal to add 'c++0x', 'c++11',
>> 'c++1y' and probably very soon 'c++14' where the default c++ (in gcc
>> at least) is c++98 plus extensions (aka gnu++98.
>
> c++0x should not be added, at most the compiler logic should use it for
> c++11. That said, I'm not sure how useful it is for older GCC version,
> given that e.g. GCC 4.5 is lacking a lot of the language features.
>
> The other consideration is whether the language standard should be
> gnuc++11 or c++11.

Without really thinking too hard, it seems obvious that each language
standard should have a name, and packages should declare what they
need.  Then, the compiler.mk can map those standards to the right flags
and versions, or fail.

In the case of

  gnuc++11
  c++11

it seems that ideally programs would be written to the standard and
c++11 would be the right name.   But surely many programs rely on gnu
extensions, and they'd get gnuc++11 as a USE_LANGUAGES value.

I don't see why the set of compilers shipped with NetBSD matters much,
as this is about configuring all sorts of compilers on many systems to
compile each package.