Re: Removing lang/python26

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 07:05:18PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> I don't think we should force people to change major versions, unless it
> becomes technically impossible to support the old one.
> I have myself more often abandoned (or at least stopped to update)
> pkgsrc on production machines in such cases.
> Wrt Python-2.6: I'm using some commercial s/w which only comes as
> precompiled .pyc for 2.6, on a laptop which I'm using for daily
> work. That would be the next one where I had to drop pkgsrc...

I'm seeing some packages dropping support for it. It's a matter of time before
it become so problematic that we're adding 26 to PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE
for a lot of packages. Look at how many py26 packages break in the bulk builds
already. We could be pro-active here and kill it this quarter.

In your case - it's VCS. You can't pull a stable tree, then pull package files
from an earlier pkgsrc version which had the packages you need?