Re: binary pkg "variants" ?

From: Anthony Mallet <tho%netbsd.org@localhost>, Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014
10:38:02 +0200

> Fredrik Pettai wrote:
> | I noticed the way MacPorts done it and it looks reasonable ok. They name the
> | package "variants" as: pkgname @version+option(s). Perhaps pkgsrc could name
> | those alternative bin pkgs as: pkgname+option(s)-version ?
>
> Anthony Mallet wrote:
> | I also did that in robotpkg (http://robotpkg.openrobots.org)
> |
> | Binary packages are named according to the following scheme:
> |  ${PKGBASE}-${PKGVERSION}~${PKG_OPTIONS}.tgz
> |
> | $PKG_OPTIONS are joined with the "+" char.
> |
> | Patches 1 & 2 are just code refactoring, patch 3 implements the real stuff.
> | There is my git commit message in the patch, hopefully explaining what is
> | implemented.
> |

> http://www.netbsd.org/~tho/0001-pkgtools-pkg_install-Factorize-code-adding-a-version.patch
> |
> http://www.netbsd.org/~tho/0002-pkgtools-pkg_install-Do-not-reinvent-pkg_match-for-m.patch
> |
> http://www.netbsd.org/~tho/0003-pkgtools-pkg_install-Introduce-the-tags-package-suff.patch
>
> On Tuesday, at 13:22, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
> | Another freeze has started...
> | What is the stopper of this change.
> | If there is no stopper, please commit just after freeze end.
>
> Hi,
>
> Last time this was discussed, I more or less understood the conclusions as:
>  - This functionality is not really needed
>  - The efficiency of my proposed implementation is questionable (scalability,
>    in particular)
>
> Which are both valid points. Here is the thread:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2014/01/18/msg012591.html
>
> But I'm ready to discuss this again :)

Hmm...
I need this functionality.
As pkgsrc developer, I create the pkgsrc packages that has many options,
and I must preserve binary package tarball not to be overwritten by
another binary package that is built with another option.
As pkgsrc user, if binary packages are provided by options, it is
very convenient.

I am not a professional programmer and I cannot say about efficiency of
your program.
What is efficiency/scalability in this case?

--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3