Re: Apache should never be a mandatory dependency

> > I may want to have Apache and nginx both running simultaneously in
> > isolated privilege domains.
>
> In that case, the user has a special requirement, and most likely the
> knowledge to take care of setting the appropriate PKG_OPTIONS him- or
> herself. It might be a good idea to keep the possibility of using
> different users/groups, but for mainstream, having them use the same
> user/group.
> It might even be a possibility, to have a general "WWW_USER" and
> "WWW_GROUP" parameter introduced, that will be used as a default, if
> (APACHE|NGINX)_(USER|GROUP) is empty.

I just grepped a bit through the pkgsrc-tree, and found this:

WWW_USER is used by the following packages:

mail/roundcube
security/base
www/drupal6
www/drupal7
www/fengoffice
www/php-ja-wordpress
www/wordpress

All of them use APACHE_USER to initialize WWW_USER, though some seem to
use ROOT_USER under certain conditions, too. Which is IMHO even worse,
though admittedly it doesn't mean a new user is created.

These are the packages that use APACHE_USER, be that for
initialization or directly (the packages listed above are included in
this list):

comms/op_panel
databases/phpmyadmin
devel/bugzilla
devel/bugzilla3
devel/mantis
devel/rt3
devel/rt4
devel/startbug1
mail/dspam
mail/imp
mail/ingo
mail/mimp
mail/roundcube
mail/squirrelmail
mail/turba
misc/php-orangehrm
security/base
security/zoneminder
time/kronolith
www/ap2-suphp
www/apache
www/apache2
www/apache22
www/apache24
www/awstats
www/contao
www/contao211
www/contao32
www/davical
www/drupal6
www/drupal7
www/fengoffice
www/gallery2
www/horde
www/mediawiki
www/moodle
www/ocsigen
www/php-basercms
www/php-concrete5
www/php-fpm
www/php-ja-wordpress
www/php-owncloud
www/php-piwigo
www/php-soycms
www/php-sugarcrm
www/php-tiki6
www/php-tt-rss
www/phraseanet
www/sencha-sns
www/wordpress

When we are trying to get away from a forced apache, which actually is
what this thread is all about, this dependency on APACHE_(USER|GROUP) is
something that should be changed, too.
May be by making "WWW_(USER|GROUP)" a global variable, set through the
mk/* config-files and adjustable per user through mk.conf .

Those packages that already use this variable simply need to remove the
initialization, and the other packages have to be adjusted
appropriately - most basic by replacing APACHE_(USER|GROUP) with WWW_
(USER|GROUP).

- Volkmar

--
http://www.dimensionv.de/