Using ncursesw with p5-Curses

I seem to be confused on how to build devel/p5-Curses with a
wide-char-enabled ncurses.

devel/p5-Curses/Makefile has a test for ${CURSES_TYPE} == "ncursesw".

If I make CURSES_TYPE=ncursesw build, I don't get a dependency on ncursesw
and all the configure tests fail (i.e. I get function 'waddch' NOT found).

If I make CURSES_DEFAULT=ncursesw build, I get ncursesw is not an acceptable
curses type for p5-Curses-1.28nb5.

So, what's the supposed way to use ncursesw?