Re: PERL5_PACKLIST and .orig files

* On 2014-02-24 at 08:13 GMT, Robert Elz wrote:

>     Date:        Sun, 23 Feb 2014 19:49:10 +0100
>     From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>
>
>   | On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 01:38:18AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>   | > The question that ought to be answered is why pkgsrc is running
>   | > patch in a mode that leaves .orig files around that then need removing.
>   | So that you can recreate the patches.
>
> wiz said the same thing ... but your average pkgsrc user has no
> interest in doing that (and even if they did, the distfile is always
> available, and the original files can easily be extracted from it
> again).
>
> By all means if this is really used often enough to be important,
> add a developer option (target perhaps) that perserves the original
> files (certainly when the patches are first being created and tested
> keeping the original is useful, but that isn't generally done by
> "make package" or similar...) but when things are advanced enough that
> the PLIST becomes relevant, there is no real useful purpose in keeping
> those things.

Now you have two problems, the package works fine in normal mode but
instead breaks with e.g. PKG_DEVELOPER, so you still have to add
'find | rm' to the Makefile even though it's unnecessary in the
default case.

Automatically removing them may not be an option, there are 8 packages
with '.orig$' files in their PLIST, though it's possible most of these
are simply mistakes.

> My guess is that it is this way merely because NetBSD's patch defaults
> to keeping backup files, rather than not keeping them (a reasonable
> choice for how patch was originally used, in the 80's, but not so useful
> any more) and that no-one was ever really bothered enough to add the option
> to stop it.

However I would be strongly in favour of this, it annoys me when I
accidentally type 'nbpatch' instead of 'patch' on my OSX machine and
end up with unwanted .orig files splattered all across my pkgsrc.