Re: FETCH_USING, removed from pkgsrc HEAD

On 18/02/14 14:00, David Sainty wrote:
On 14/02/14 19:03, OBATA Akio wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:40:47 +0900, David Sainty <dave%dtsp.co.nz@localhost> wrote:

tnftp dependencies are a big bootstrapping and updating hassle.  If it
does grow a new dependencies, it'd be nice if there was also something
like a tnftp_basic package that avoids all dependencies (no ncurses, no
openssl), which was then available during bootstrapping to pull down
ncurses and openssl for the full tnftp.

Just for notification, "net/tnftp require buitin termcap" issue is resolved.
It is regression since converted from "devel/readline/builtin.mk" to
"mk/readline.builtin.mk" mechanically.

Huh, yes that seems to be fixed.

That reduces the payoff of using a cut-down tnftp_basic, so actually a beefed-up tnftp_ssl would be an equally valid approach judged on this metric. I'm not sure which I prefer now :)

Either way the solution is the same, it's just a matter of which package gets to produce the executable called "/usr/pkg/bin/ftp".

Actually, given that, it has to be said that the path of least resistance is to use one of the existing SSL-capable tools (probably "fetch"), and just leave tnftp as not-https-enabled.

So, FETCH_BASIC would force using plain old tnftp.

A naive solution could just use fetch for everything not tagged with FETCH_BASIC, but it would make for a more minimal installation if "tnftp" was used for all but https: URLS, or alternatively, tnftp was used by default for all packages that don't contain an https: URL in their master sites list. I suspect the latter is easier to plumb into the dependency system.