Re: Updating plans of lang/ghc

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:13:09PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > > The idea is that ghc-bootstrap depends on ghc (used for building) but
 > > ghc does *not* depend on ghc-bootstrap; instead once in a while
 > > someone takes the ghc-bootstrap package from the build host and posts
 > > it as a distfile in MASTER_SITE_LOCAL, and updates the distfile
 > > information in the main ghc package. I think this avoids most of the
 > > problems that otherwise come up.
 >
 > I don't follow this.  Doesn't ghc-bootstrap contain a binary compiler,
 > and one uses that to build the current ghc?

The ghc package uses (or will when/if I commit the changes) a
ghc-bootstrap binary package as a distfile. It does not install or
formally depend on ghc-bootstrap.

This works because it turns out that ghc is set up so most of it is
location-independent, so you can untar the ghc-bootstrap package in
${WRKDIR}, apply some minor adjustments on the fly, and run it in
place. Otherwise it would be all much messier.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost