Re: Perl core modules, corresponding module packages and dependencies

Am 22.11.2013 um 13:46 schrieb Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:37:54PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
>> 3. Fix DEPENDS pattern for CORE modules.
>>
>>   < DEPENDS+=        p5-File-Temp>=0.19:../../devel/p5-File-Temp
>>> DEPENDS+=   {perl>=5.10.1,p5-File-Temp>=0.19}:../../devel/p5-File-Temp
>
> Personally, I'd prefer if we just comment out those dependencies.

As we both agreed, in https://github.com/rehsack/Packager-Utils it
generates comments for core modules.

I don’t vote for dumb removal, because of several reasons:
1) it has value for documentation - you can see easily what is a
   core module and don’t need additional prereqs
2) for people who maintain branches of pkgsrc which contains older
   perls, dumb removal ends in unusable packages.
   Be clear about what is required from which perl-version helps
   a lot improving
3) I would prefer a way to let users decide whether they want to depend
   on dedicated perl versions (with all the trouble core modules have)
   or individual modules (eg. devel/p5-PathTools)

Because I see that there is no improvement for 3 with the current
situation, a comment is fine for now. But the goal should be more
control for users and/or integrators.

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack