Re: Various size of (Project) ideas for NetBSD and pkgsrc

On Wednesday, at 07:19, David Holland wrote:
| On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 08:03:53AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
|  > there is no way that your chosen PKG_OPTIONS can satisfy every
|  > possible user.
|
| and I should also note that it would be helpful to figure out a way to
| encode option choices in the filenames of binary packages, so a binary
| package repository can (if desired) contain multiple builds of the
| same package in an organized fashion.

I've done that for robotpkg ( http://robotpkg.openrobots.org/ ).
Basically PKGNAME == PKGBASE - PKGVERSION ~ PKGOPTIONS (joined with `+').
You can have a look at example filenames at
http://robotpkg.openrobots.org/packages/bsd/NetBSD-6.1.1-x86_64/All/

I have seen no problem with this approach so far for the ~350 packages in
robotpkg.

It required only a small patch to pkg_install, plus some magic to derive a set
of options from a PKGREQD variable (but that's similar to what is done for
py-* packages, for instance). There is also some magic to interpret things like
``I want pkg>=1~!opt1+opt2 (gt than version 1 with option2 required but option1
absent)'' in dependencies.