Re: Google Summer of Code 2013 Application: Version control config files

Hi Kaylee!

Thanks for your proposal.

I have a few questions.

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 07:01:06AM +0000, Kaylee Breshon wrote:
> About your project
>
> What is the goal of the project?
> The goal of this project is to set up a version control system to monitor
> changes and updates in config files installed by pkgsrc.
>
> What will be the deliverables of the project?
> The deliverables will be a working program that completes the above goal, and
> additionally includes automated and manual check-ins, and allows the user to
> choose a version control system and location. All code and documentation will
> be provided.
>
> Give an overview of how you intend to reach the project's goal in the form of
> milestones and a schedule.
> Now – June 17: Gain more experience with NetBSD, pkgsrc and anything else
> relevant to the project.  Contact mentor to begin discussing project
> June 13: Finish current school year
> June 13 – 17: Finalize project specification, design, and plan
> June 17: Begin coding.
> June 17 – September 16:
> Create basic repository using CVS (1 week)
> Implement UI for merging conflicting changes and doing manual check-ins (4
> weeks)

I thought for the manual stuff, we'd use the command line tools for
now, and that the project would be more about tracking the automated
changes that NetBSD is doing.

Perhaps a first step would be to track the changes done by the
pkg_install tools on a vendor branch in CVS, and commit any changes
files to a different branch before every pkg_add or pkg_delete.

I.e. Whenever pkg_add or pkg_delete notices it will work on a file in
${PREFIX}/etc/, do the following:

. commit unchanged files to SYSTEM branch
. checkout PKGSRC branch of the affected files
(do the usual changes pkg_add/pkg_delete do)
. switch back to SYSTEM branch
. merge PKGSRC branch

If there are conflicts during merging, inform the user to resolve them.

That's just a basic idea how it could be done. Digging in the details
will be part of the project. Of course, later steps would then be
supporting other version control systems, configuring the locations
etc. as you suggest.

I'm not so much interested in a GUI for this.

Does that make sense?

If yes, please adapt your proposal.

Thanks,
 Thomas