Re: pbulk using tmpfs

  If you don't limit the space and you run out of memory, the build
will typically fail due to a tool running out of memory. (On my 2GB
machine it used to happen when linking parts of qemu, but that doesn't
happen with recent versions). Back when it used to happen, I could
recover the space using "make clean". (It used vast amounts of memory
while trying to link, and that (freed) memory was more than enough fit
the "make clean" sub-processes).

I've just witnessed it with a couple of packages:

multimedia/vlc:

  CC       input/libvlccore_la-stream_memory.lo
/scratch/multimedia/vlc/work/.wrapper/bin/gcc: Cannot fork
/scratch/multimedia/vlc/work/.wrapper/tmp/logic: Cannot fork
/usr/pkg/bin/libtool: Cannot fork

[...]

multimedia/totem-browser-plugin:

file=`echo es | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
&& rm -f $file && /scratch/multimedia/totem-browser-plugin/work/.tools/bin/msgfmt -o $file es.po
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/tools/msgfmt.sh: Cannot fork
gmake[2]: *** [en_CA.gmo] Error 2
gmake[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

[...]

I guess I'm too short in memory to play that game :)

Emile `iMil' Heitor .°. <imil@{home.imil.net,NetBSD.org,gcu.info}>
                                                                _