Re: serial pbulk: Re: suggestion: Host fly-off between pkgin and nih and subsequent official integration

 >> Why not run multiple pbulk clients on the machine? That should help
 >> parallelize.

> It's definitely not a fair comparison.
> Poudriere has been modified to copy a full world in a tmpfs, and then
> each slave nullmounts to it (creating a readonly copy, but then
> writable areas are tmpfs mounted to those).

> So with one jail, slaves are created, destroyed, refreshed pretty much
> instantly in memory + swapcache versus the pbulk approach of unrolling
> a tarball.  So it's not just a matter of adding slaves, but also
> improving resource use.

> Basically I haven't had time to look at what needs improving, now if
> distbb is a better approach, or porting poudriere would even more
> attractive.  Don't know.

Last time I tried pbulk was about 4 years ago or even more. So, I don't
know too much about it. But in distbb I use exactly the same scheme you
described. I have a number or sandboxes created with a help of read/only
chroots and read/write /tmp, /usr/pkg and some others, so, they all
share the same base system. This is how I run my regular bulk
builds. Creating the sandboxes this way is not automated, though. And
this is exactly what I'm planning to do in nearest future.  Of course,
you can also use different hosts and rsh-like transport to them.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.