Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 00:52 +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> David Sainty <dave%dtsp.co.nz@localhost> writes:

> >> No, it isn't a cleanup at all.
> >
> > You'll have to state exactly what you see as the problem.  Ideally
> > without being rude.
> >
> > To an outsider, it looks like someone is taking the time to work on
> > consistency across Pkgsrc.  It isn't clear why that's a bad thing.
>
> What about stating exactly why this is a cleanup?

The commit messages were clear enough what the intention was - I think that was
already covered.

> What I have seen so far in packages interesting to me:
>  - build breakage (Squeak VM);
>  - removal of search keywords and replacement of them with nonsensical
>    abbreviations (libint);
>  - violations of typographical styles that make package description
>    unreadable (PostgreSQL packages).

These sound like reasonable points to be considered individually, but
not in themselves a reason to call for a roll back of all the work done
to date.

> If this is what pkglint recommends, then pkglint should be avoided.
> At the very least, it shouldn't be trusted to be supreme source.

There's a lot of grey area between "avoided" and "not the supreme
source".  I think everyone will agree the truth is somewhere between
those extremes :)