Re: pkgsrc cross-compilation

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:04:36PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > Let's take the hit up-front and do the split. We can keep BUILD_DEPENDS
> > until it's done, and add HOST_DEPENDS and LINK_DEPENDS (with better
> > names, obviously), with BUILD_DEPENDS being the aggregation of
> > both.
>
> I don't think we should talk about the aggregation of TOOL_DEPENDS and
> TARGET_BUILD_DEPENDS (my preferred name, with BUILD_DEPENDS getting
> added to both and generating a warning as a transition scheme); I don't
> understand what the union means, other than one needs distfiles.  Any
> given package could be in one or the other or both, for independent
> reasons.

No-one is going to manage to change all the BUILD_DEPENDS overnight.
So until each package is split out into constiutuent dependencies, the
only information that some packages may have is BUILD_DEPENDS.  For
packages that have been split, though, there will be the tool depends,
and the link depends packges (whatever their names are).  Aggregated
together, they make up BUILD_DEPENDS.

In other words - it is a way of reaching the goal while making
incremental steps towards it, avoiding flag days, and generally
providing finer-grained information.

Regards,
Alistair