Re: ghostscript & agpl

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> So, the new ghostscript is AGPL'd, and to many people this is a
> problem. It seems like a good idea to restore the pre-update non-AGPL
> package under a different name. Should this be:

That's an unusual program to move to AGPL in terms of what it does (not
being focused on web services).  But agreed that (more than zero and
less than all) will have issues with that.

> (1)
>    AGPL ghostscript 9.07 as print/ghostscript
>    GPL ghostscript 9.05 as print/ghostscript905
>
> (2)
>    AGPL ghostscript 9.07 as print/ghostscript
>    GPL ghostscript 9.05 as print/ghostscript-gpl
>
> (3)
>    AGPL ghostscript 9.07 as print/ghostscript-agpl
>    GPL ghostscript 9.05 as print/ghostscript

Since the point is to provide clarity to users, I would vote for 2,
because then print/ghostscript will match upstream, which is the
standard expectation.  Alternatively

(4)
    AGPL ghostscript 9.07 as print/ghostscript-agpl
    GPL ghostscript 9.05 as print/ghostscript-gpl

with no package 'ghostscript', so that people will have to make an
intentional choice.  With (2), though, if they have put AGPL in
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES, updating will just work (and then it's the right
answer, since it's newer), and if they haven't, they'll get a license
fail.  We can put a comment there

# See also ../ghostscript-gpl, for an older version licensed under
# gnu-gpl3.

or whatever it is.

> (The old alternate name was "ghostscript-gnu", which doesn't seem
> useful to resurrect.)

agreed.