proprietary default options [was Re: disabling unsupported options]

   Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:05:07 +0000
   From: Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-pkg%mumble.net@localhost>

   For example, I have PKG_OPTIONS.mplayer+= -mplayer-real to disable
   proprietary codecs -- but since that option is supported only on i386,
   powerpc, and alpha, mplayer fails to build on amd64 with that setting,
   even though I'm turning it off.

Also, it seems awfully silly to enable options by default for
proprietary software and codecs.  Any objections to my turning these
off by default?  And do we have any policy written down about such
options in general?  I dimly seem to recall bringing it a year or two
ago in the context of some other package but to no conclusion; it
seems to me that if we have a set of default acceptable licences then
we ought to have a set of default options that fit them.