Re: recent PRs to handle

On 10.11.12 16:50, Adam Ciarciński wrote:
and a package that is looking for zlib.pc won't find it anyway.

Why wouldn't it? `pkg-config zlib --cflags/--libs'.

Because built-in zlib (the one that comes with an operating system, like NetBSD
or Darwin aka Mac OS X) does not come with zlib.pc.

% pkg-config zlib --cflags
Package zlib was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `zlib.pc'
No package 'zlib' found

Therefore, I don't see much point of adding zlib.pc to the package. Or am I
wrong?

Yes. I've already tested a case where a package uses zlib.pc and am waiting
for the commits to devel/zlib to push the changes into pkgsrc-wip.

That would force all packages that expect zlib.pc to be build with pkgsrc zlib,
rather than using system-provided one.

Why does it force them?
I tend to create _my_ autoconf script that they first try to find a $(LIBNAME).pc (using PKG_CONFIG macros) and if that fails, try to find headers/libraries on their own.

Finding usable pkg-config files stops searching at an early stage.
But it allows more: it allows the evaluating of environment variables
zlib_CFLAGS/zlib_LIBS - and builtin.mk to set the properly ...

Cheers,
--
Jens Rehsack
pkgsrc, Perl5