Re: New options for freeswitch

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:44:27AM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Of course.  That's why this is the freeswitch-music package.  I will
> also be adding freeswitch-sounds, freeswitch-base and the freeswitch
> meta package.

Somehow that wasn't stressed at the beginning (hidden in the small print).
I was thinking they were options to cut down the size of the switch itself.

The 8k is an audio sample rate, not a bitrate (which will be 64k).
For telephony they are usually either u-law or a-law encoded bytes,
(Both are basically hidden-bit normalised FP, with sign, 3 bits exponent
and 1+4 bits mantissa, they differ in the way codes near zero are handled.)

Not sure what format the music files will be in though, since higher
quality might be encoded to 16bit at 8k samples/sec or something
at 16k samples/sec.
I can't remember what CD quality is (except worse than good vinyl).

Which all means that you want separate packages, probably -16k -32k
and -48k. Even the unadourned one with the 8k music is probably optional.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost