Re: -Werror

                        Hi everyone,

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:26:07 +0200, Marc Espie wrote:

> -Werror should not be an issue. The only reason it is is because gcc
> warnings are broken.  There are so many of them, there's no sensible way
> to choose them in a way that makes sense. They're not upward compatible.

I have to agree with Marc here. It is quite impossible to write any
reasonably sophisticated, portable program (even just Linux and *BSD)
without triggering a single warning, also when sticking to a single
version of GCC (especially with "-W -Wall -O2 -pedantic" as I usually
do). It is even more difficult when not using automake/autoconf, which I
prefer to avoid at all.

I have also had some users which assumed that these warnings
automatically meant that the corresponding code was of lower quality.
Keeping -Werror set will definitely not help this assumption.

HTH,
--
khorben