Re: Any issue with upgrading lang/tcl to 8.5.12 ?

On 8/16/2012 10:07, John Marino wrote:
On 8/16/2012 07:54, David Holland wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 01:01:27PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> I've been requested to update a package that requires a minimum
> version of TCL as 8.5.0. This is not entirely unreasonable given
> that 8.5.0 was released in December, 2007, nearly 6 years ago.

I understand why these packages sat at 8.4 for so many years. They aren't easy to update. I've put considerable time into this. Initially, I ported all the libtool changes and all the OS changes including hacks for NetBSD 1. I got tcl to work but tk was troublesome so I just blew it all away. I also removed the need to override each OS's library naming conventional. That seems to work, it installs equally well on NetBSD, DragonFly, and OpenSolaris.

For those who want a preview to test ports, here they are:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~marino/misc/tcl85-draft-1.tar.bz2
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~marino/misc/tk85-draft-1.tar.bz2

Rename tcl folder, then extract tcl tarball from /usr/pkgsrc/lang
Rename tk folder, then extract tk tarball from /usr/pkgsrc/x11

I already know lang/tcl-expect will not build on tcl 8.5, and probably requires an update to the latest source (it's pretty old).
mbone/rat compiles, seems to work (I guess)
mbone/vic does not compile, it looks for the libtcl static archive with the wrong name, so it's probably an easy fix. I haven't tested more than this.

I ran both of these through PKG_DEVELOPER=1 and Tinderbox, they build and remove cleanly.

We'll have to see the way forward. Currently tcl/tk85 would conflict with the current versions due to commonalities with the PLIST. Supporting two concurrent versions may require some mk file magic since the headers will have to be moved from where they are now.

My vote is to bite the bullet, move to the latest version, and fix the problems later. I can run these through pbulk and see what regresses first of course.

John