Re: Any issue with upgrading lang/tcl to 8.5.12 ?

John Marino <netbsd%marino.st@localhost> writes:

> On 8/16/2012 07:54, David Holland wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 01:01:27PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
>>   >  I've been requested to update a package that requires a minimum
>>   >  version of TCL as 8.5.0.  This is not entirely unreasonable given
>>   >  that 8.5.0 was released in December, 2007, nearly 6 years ago.
>>
>> Maybe start by moving the existing tcl and tk to tcl84 and tk84?
>>
>> We had tcl83 packages that hung around for quite a while.
>
> I'm hearing tcl/tk 85 is completely backwards compatible with 84
> which shouldn't be too hard to test.  Is the suggestion of tcl84
> based on the assumption some packages will break?  If they don't
> break, we don't need tcl/tk84 packages right?
>
> Of course, the fact that tcl83 packages exists weakens this thought.

Have you ever tried updating it in practice? Reality is much harsher.
You have to tweak many things anyway. "Completely backwards compatible"
is a big stretch above, some rather important extensions were dropped.

> I've got lang/tcl already building.  I just released x11/tk is
> it's partner and needs to be updated at the same time.  I'll
> happily post both packages so people can review/test prior to
> committing them.

No. Don't do that. The primary reason why update wasn't done two years
ago is that it requires rather large orchestrated effort.

--
HE CE3OH...