Re: Problems with "freetype2" package under Mac OS X

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 04:11:29PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> >Before this change "pkgsrc" would not use the system provided "freetype2".
>
> I feel that it is "FIXED" behavior.

I'm not convinced about that, seel below.

> >Looking at the required version numbers ...
> >
> >BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.freetype2+=    freetype2>=2.1.8
> >BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.freetype2+=    freetype2>=2.4.7nb2
[...]
> >... I wonder if this check is wrong. Should it check both "API_DEPENDS"
> >and "ABI_DEPENDS"? Or are the version numbers just not sensible?
>
> No, only API_DEPENDS should be checked.

Sorry, but something doesn't make sense here. My interpretation of the
above dependences is:

1.) You need at least freetype2 version 2.1.8 to compile this.
2.) You need at least freetype2 version 2.4.7nb2 to install the package
    you have compiled.

Mac OS X's "freetype2" only meets the first requirement. So you end up
with a package which you cannot install.

So I think that "BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS" must always be greater or
equal to "BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS" for any package.

        Kind regards