Re: -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:42:34AM +0100, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:59:46PM +1300, Steven Drake wrote:
> > Can anyone see any point in '-I/usr/include' being added to CPPFLAGS and
> > '-L/usr/lib ${COMPILER_RPATH_FLAG}/usr/lib' being added to LDFLAGS.
> >
> > They are getting added because of builtin library's (e.g. dl pthread ...).
> >
> > I don't see any need to have them added so I'd like to remove them with
> > the following patch, any objections/comments?
>
> Is there a specific need to remove them?

If nothing else the dominant system call during a full netbsd build
is actually open() - and I think that is dominated by failed opens
when searching for includes.

So extra -I can have a measurable impact.
Access the source/includes over nfs and it is much worse.
(Unless they've changed the nfs protocol recently, it requires
a client-server message pair for every directory in the pathname.)

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost