Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/audio/tunapie

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:41:56AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:25:20AM +0100, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:12:36AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > What's the point of this?
> >
> > Specifically, the point is that /bin/sh is broken on SunOS. Generally,
> > assuming that /bin/sh will just happen to work is wrong, so thats what
> > REPLACE_SH is for.
>
> Changing every single package that installs a shell script is worse.

Worse than what?

> don't buy the "/bin/sh on Solaris never works" reasoning.

I'm not selling anything. And I never claimed that it "never works". In
fact, things got better with 5.11 and ksh93.

(On a side note, I also see interesting behaviour from pdksh in every
bulk build. I should file a PR about it some day.)

> There are
> enough things that to do work with it to not warrant a mechanical change
> all over the place.

Yes, trivial things generally work. Not so trivial things may work by
accident. And then there are random packages failing in non-obvious ways
because they use some script installed by some other package which
doesn't work right.

I have a list of slightly less than 600 packages that I still need to
check. Some of the 2500 packages currently not building on SunOS might
also need work. It's a lot of work.

Besides, why is it a good idea to use REPLACE_BASH etc. but not to do the
same with REPLACE_SH?

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown