mkfontscale issue?

Hi,

Please bear with me as this isn't an area I'm familiar with.

I'm seeing an issue where mutt isn't drawing thread tree
characters correctly which used to work until recently.  I
traced the issue to the recent font/mkfontscale update.
mkfontscale is used by fonts/encodings to generate
encodings.dir which is now sorted differently.  When
libfontenc.so reads this file it seems to early out if it
can't find dec-special.enc.  Only dec-special.enc.gz is
installed which used to come first in encodings.dir.

So I'm not sure where the issue is.  The generation of
encodings.dir my mkfontscale, libfontenc for giving up too
easily or fonts/encodings for only installing .gz variants?

Thanks,

-seanb