Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/xzgv

On 12/31/2011 12:07 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:03:54PM +0100, John Marino wrote:
>
> It is not an assertion. Symbol lookup *is* recursive. That is a very
> fundamental property of ELF. This is *not* about compile time. It is all
> about runtime.
>
> Joerg

Ok, we're talking about real-time dynamic linking then.  One way or
another it's going to load the symbol lists from all shared objects
listed by ldd.  I assume your point is that if the previously
indirectly-linked library is not the last loaded, rtld will have to scan
all the (mostly unused) symbols in it sequentially before getting to
more heavily used symbols of other libraries.

What's the real impact?  slightly slower startup time?  Is it even
perceptible?

Otherwise you're basically advocating that all platforms of pkgsrc
either stick to binutils 2.21 or less forever, or that they patch
gold/ld version 2.22+ to behave as before.  I don't think such an
artificial restriction is desirable.

John