Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/xzgv

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 09:25:21PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
 > >Indirect / recursive linking is no longer the default for ld starting
 > >with 2.22.
 > >Ld will stop with an error if it encounters a symbol not present in any
 > >of the
 > >listed libraries when previously it would have recursively searched
 > >libraries
 > >those libraries were linked to.  The error is clear, and it says which
 > >library
 > >the symbol located.  Something is using a libm function and libX11
 > >function in
 > >this particular case.
 >
 > I'm not tested yet on DragonFly, but on NetBSD, -lm and -lX11 are
 > included in `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0' and this package is using
 > it as a part of LDFLAGS.  I don't know why not for your
 > environment.

If I understand the situation/intent correctly, if gtk requires -lm,
that need is insulated from users of gtk, who can just link -lgtk+-2.0
(or whatever the thing's actually called) without needing to insert
-lm themselves, so pkg-config --libs won't contain any extra libs.
However, this means also that if the users need -lm for their own
purposes they can't rely on gtk bringing it in for them.

Again, IIUC. And who knows what happens with static libs...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost