Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/files/lib

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 08:06:17AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > I think many people view distributing a binary to run on someone else's
 > computer and running a binary on my computer hooked up to their
 > computer's kbd/mouse/display as a distinction without a difference.

And many people do not, I suspect primarily the people who actually do
either of these things and who are therefore concerned about this issue.

 > Practically, I'd say someone running a service, making derivative works,
 > and withholding source needs advice of counsel anyway, in which case
 > they can change the ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES variable.  People just using
 > NetBSD systems don't have the issue you described.

So the moment I enable bozohttpd in base, or configure Apache, I need
to talk to counsel, and I shouldn't be expected to be able to do these
things safely otherwise? That's what you're saying, and I think it's
absurd.

This AGPL affects *installing and running* software, not just
releasing and shipping it. It is fundamentally different from the
basic GPL this way, and it should not be enabled by default.

Particularly given the number of entirely harmless licenses that we
*don't* enable by default.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost