Re: pkg_install in base system again

> }
> } Some time ago Joerg proposed to remove pkg_install from base system and
> } switch to using pkg_install from pkgsrc just like all other systems do.
> } I agree with him and don't want to reproduce his arguments but I would
> } like to raise this question once again.
> }
> } AFAIR the only argument against removal was that NetBSD is a number one
> } system for pkgsrc and it is impractical to bootstrap pkgsrc for end

>      Could you imagine an Ubuntu user having to jump through hoops to
> get yum and apt (or whatever they use)?  Wouldn't happen!  Similarly,
> pkgsrc IS NetBSD's packaging system and as such it MUST be a first
> class citizen on a NetBSD system.

I remember this argument and this is the only one I can remember.
Yes, pkgsrc IS NetBSD's packaging system. What does this fact prove?

Linux doesn't have "base system" as *BSD have. Linux users are able to
update their apt/yum/zypper/whatever as soion as update is available. We
cannot do the same in NetBSD. This is the problem.

> Making a NetBSD user jump through ANY kind of hoop in order to use
> NetBSD's packaging system is a non-starter.

I don't think running pkg_setup without arguments will be a serious
problem for NetBSD users. Do you?

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.