Re: interactive installs

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:23:50PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> I am trying to make a package from software that is distributed with a
> java installer program.  Installation requires running the installer,
> which in turn asks (via a GUI) for user input to identify some paths
> for installation directories.  What is the best way to handle such a
> thing within pkgsrc?

Can you talk with the people upstream to allow for non-interactive behavior ?

A lot of software developers out there think they're "special" and that their
program deserves special consideration.

But the truth of the matter is that it's a major pain for users, who just
want to use the darn thing and could do with waaays less manual
configuration.

My opinion, and that of OpenBSD porters in general... we regularly have to
fight this kind of problem.  Anything interactive during build or installation
precludes proper testing. And frankly, there's less than one program out of
5000 that has an actual good reason for user interaction during installation.