Re: [GSoC] Add support for FreeBSD package format, RPM and Debian packages(if time allows) to pkgsrc

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Anton Panev wrote:

> I plan to add support for FreeBSD and RPM packages. If the time allows, I
> will add support for Debian packages. The minimal target is to support
> FreeBSD packages.

Please consider using RPM or Debian as your minimal target with FreeBSD
later (only if time allows).

One significant value of pkgsrc is that it is a single tree of
specifications (build instructions, patches, etc) for a wide variety of
software. Reusing this to create RPM spec files or Debian
rules/control/etc could potential be quite useful. But that same reason
is not as of same great interest to FreeBSD simply because that have a
very similar single tree already. (Of course, I like pkgsrc and prefer
many of its features over ports.)