Re: fonts/Xft2 vs. x11/libXft

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

> pkgsrc has two packages for Xft library.
> Are they both really necessary?
>
> PKGNAME=Xft2-2.1.7nb3
> PKGPATH=fonts/Xft2
> COMMENT=Library for configuring and customizing font access
> MAINTAINER=pkgsrc-users%NetBSD.org@localhost
>
> PKGNAME=libXft-2.1.14
> PKGPATH=x11/libXft
> COMMENT=Library for configuring and customizing font access
> MAINTAINER=joerg%NetBSD.org@localhost

Potentially the libXft may be used instead of the unmaintained version.
They may have slight incompatibilities now and Xft2 may be useful for
systems with older X installed in base system without requiring rest of
X.org libraries (via pkgsrc).

If you wish, you can play with extending libXft package so it can
provide the same functionality (option to not install dependencies and
use the base X version; and maybe also provide pkg-config files too). It
seems like I had done all this a few years ago.