Re: teTeX-bin dependency installs take over 12 hours

On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Dieter Baron wrote:

>>> Watching the output and some sed revield an interesting inefficiency:
>>>
>>> /var/pkg/lib/texmf/web2c/luatex/luatex.fmt and
>>> /var/pkg/lib/texmf/web2c/luatex/dviluatex.fmt were both rebuilt 2647 times,
>>> pdftex/pdftex.fmt, pdeftex/pdfetex.fmt and pdftex/etex.fmt were rebuilt
>>> 1008 times each.
>>
>> What does your etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf have?
>
>  It's attached.  I haven't modified it. (This is from in the middle from a
> reinstall of the hyphen packages for yet another package that depends on
> teTeXbin.)

Your fmtutil.cnf has many lines repeated multiple times, which causes many
redundant format regenerations.  I have no clue how those lines were added.
The first few entries refer to "pdflualatex.ini", which was removed from TeX
Live and thus from pkgsrc long time ago.

Does this happen with the up-to-date pkgsrc?  Could you uninstall kpathsea and
wipe out etc/texmf, and try again?  I do this often on my Mac OS X, but have
never seen fmtutil.cnf corrupted.

>>> /var/pkg/lib/texmf/ls-R contained these files quite often.  Some part of
>>> the install script seems to mess this up.
>>
>> This is strange.  The install script does not modify ls-R directly; it only
>> calls mktexlsr to rebuild it.
>>
>>> I've recreated that file (ls -R > ls-R) and we're down to about 3 minutes
>>> per hyphen package.  (Still rather long for installing a few files, so this
>>> begs further cleanup!)
>>
>> It is not just installing a few files.  Whenever hyphenation patterns are
>> modified, all the installed formats must be rebuilt.
>
>  Perhaps, but once for each of the 32 packages?  That sounds wasteful.  Like
> I said, even with a fixed ls-R, it takes 3 minutes for each, or 1.5 hours for
> all of them.  On a modern machine, at that.

I have been working on removing dependencies on teTeX-bin or teTeX-texmf.
There remain about 30 such packages, and none of them need all those
hyphenation patterns.  Once the dependencies are minimized, most of the
hyphenation packages will become leaf packages, installed by those who does use
the languages.

Since typical usage of (La)TeX does not require hyphenations for many
languages, this will be a nonissue then.

If anyone want to help, please search for packages including
"print/teTeX/module.mk" ro "mk/tex.buildlink3.mk", or directly depending on
teTeX-bin, and reduce their dependencies, usually to tex-bin-latex and a few
tex-* packages.

--
Min Sik Kim