${LD} incorrectly rewritten

I am trying to build a PostgreSQL extension using the installed
versions of the Makefiles installed with the PostgreSQL package (in
this case postgresql84-client).  However, the installed file

${PREFIX}/lib/postgresql/pgxs/src/Makefile.global

contains the line

LD = /usr/pkg/bin/ld

which is clearly wrong.  Within ${WRKSRC} the equivalent line was

LD = /pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql84-client/default/.wrapper/bin/ld

It would seem that the magic rewriting during install is getting this
case wrong.  However, I need some help, please, to figure out where
this happens and how to fix it.

Thanks alot for your help.

Cheers,
Brook