Re: Making it easier to get and use pkgsrc

On 12.12.2010 00:59, David Holland wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 08:14:26PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>  > It has been suggested that we should make it easier for users to
>  > download and start using pkgsrc.
>  > [snip]
>
> All this discussion seems futile and rather silly, because it seems
> fairly obvious that the correct approach is to have sysinst offer to
> download and unpack /usr/pkgsrc, either stable or HEAD as desired.
>
> This should be straightforward, really.

Straightforward if you have well known URLs pointing to pkgsrc
stable/current. In the present state, you have to add intelligence to
sysinst to cope with the branches.

BTW, same situation for current installs, although it is more difficult
to solve (i386 can be built successfully, while sparc64 may not, for
example).

>  > - Switch from mk.conf to pkgsrc.conf
>
> I'm not sure this is a good idea. On the one hand, it avoids needing
> the magic knowledge that pkgsrc is make-based; on the other hand, you
> have to know that to do anything with pkgsrc. I think if we're going
> to move to something that advertises itself specifically as pkgsrc
> configuration that it should be restricted to configuration statements
> that make sense for pkgsrc and not necessarily be an arbitrary make
> fragment... but that would cause regressions if we aren't careful.

Then call it pkgsrc.mk.conf instead of pkgsrc.conf?

> However, I do tend to think that things should be self-contained and
> that the *base system*'s build should use $(TOP)/mk.conf (or maybe
> $(TOP)/config.mk, but within the tree) rather than a file in /etc.

Separate issue.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost