Re: Priority binary packages

On 5 December 2010 23:53, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 10:53:24PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>> I'm aware this could be opening a can of worms as your critical
>> package is my useless bloated piece of cruft, but I suspect there
>> could be a workable set including some shells, a web server, a couple
>> of databases, base packages for scripting languages (php, perl,
>> python, ruby). For desktops some window managers, web browser, image
>> viewer/editor.
>
> There's a set of basic packages that should give an overview of the
> quality of pkgsrc support for a platform listed in the severely
> outdated pkgsrc/doc/STATUS file. That probably can give you a few good
> hints, after some serious updating :)

Just a huge amount of updating I think :)

First pass would be to define the type of meta-pkgs. I suspect we
would have a few server ones and some desktop. Its 'all the clutter
that a Linux system would have by default'. Users would not generally
be expected to install the binary meta-pkg itself, but there should be
binaries for all the contents where possible...