How to handle a font dependency (munin-server)

I'm deploying munin to a Centos box, with X11_TYPE=modular.

If just the munin-server package is installed in generates graphs with
missing fonts (all glyphs are small boxes).
Installing meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-fonts fixes the issue. I can
probably drill down to the offending font itself.

How do we encode a dependency on an x11 font or fonts for a package,
such that it will not break on a non modular X11 install?